Vincent

Skilling Contracts

Skilling contracts

Recently, a post was created with the aim to boost GP profits from skilling. I kind of hijacked that topic with a small suggestion, and after valuable feedback from @lare96, @E36 and various others, I have decided to work on the details. This is the result. Enjoy!

The purpose of what I am about to suggest is to draw more people to skilling, and to make it not “feel like a waste of time” because you’re not out there bossing and making money.

Skilling should be decently rewarded, both in EXP as well as in GP. It should not be competitive with PvM and/or Slayer, but it should be brought closer.

In addition, the vast supply of skilling resources (Bars, Logs, Bones etcetera) should be reduced, to make gathering these resources a thing newer players (and skillers) could do for money. Currently, the only thing for money that is non-combat is thieving. And let's be frank, it's quite shit.

Please let me know if there is anything else you would like to see added, or perhaps even changed / removed.

The addition of “The Master Skiller”

All donator zones

Right click options:

-          Talk

-          Assignment/Contract

-          Rewards

The amount of tasks a player can obtain per day is unlimited, just like with slayer. 

Possible Contracts:

Processing tasks, such as smithing, herblore, fletching, crafting, cooking, should be way more common than gathering tasks, in order to boost a market for the supplies. I myself was thinking a 66.67% chance for processing, with a 33.33% for gathering.

-          Gather ... Produce (Herbs / Trees) (No other produce, nobody uses them)

-          Create ... (specific name) potion

-          Mine ... Ore

-          Smelt ... Bar

-          Smith ... Item

-          Cut ... Logs

-          Light ... Logs

-          Fletch ... Arrows / Bolts

-          Fletch ... Shortbows(u) / Shieldbows(u) -> need to find a way that this doesn’t block people with the fletching perk

-          Craft ... Item (dhide, molten glass, jewellery)

-          Fish ... Sea creatures

-          Cook ... Sea creatures

-          Make ... (Furniture name)

-          Catch … amount of creatures

Task completion Rewards:

-          Base point reward: 10

-          Every 10th: 25

-          Every 50th: 75

-          Every 100th: 125

Furthermore, when a player completes a task, EXP scaled off of players level (and gamemode) will be rewarded.

Rewards from the Skilling Master

- Summon me senpai ( 250 points )

Unlock Summoning tasks: When a summoning taskis received: Infuse 125 (specific) Pouches, upon completion, 50% of the used charms shall be reimbursed. Why 125? That's 5 full inventories when taking the charm, spirit shard and pouch into advance, and makes it easier to code the charm reward.

This should be useful for those without the Treasure Goblin perk that for constantly fall short on charms. Not so useful for skillers that want to remain a level 3, hence the optional unlock

- Aint got no time for that ( 200 points )            

Block all lower tier assignments. This Blocks all assignments requiring a skill level lower than 40.

- Aint got no time for that either (250 points )

Block all mid-tier assignments. This blocks all assignments requiring a skill level between 41 and 70.

- Give me more! ( 400 points )

Extend all Assignments by 50%. The Assignment completion points remain the same, but all additional EXP reward increases by 50%.

- 30 Access tokens ( 100 points )

These tokens will be used for the skilling zone described below. Each token will drain at a rate of one per minute, showing a similar mechanic to the Warrior Guild cyclops room.

- Runespan Top Floor teleport tabs. ( 50 points each )

We all hate that walk from the Bottom floor, to where we actually want to be, right?

- 100 Chimes ( 50 points )

Right, what is one of the reasons that people PvM? Chimes for days. I do not intend to make skilling as good as, or close to, PvM for chimes, but I like seeing chimes in here as one of the reasons to make these assignments worthwile.

- 1000 Harmonic dust ( 150 points )

Want to get those Crystal tools, but don't have access to Priff? Or can't be bothered afking harps to get dust? There you go.

New Skilling Area:

Mechanic: Similar to the warriors guild. The Access Tokens, bought as a reward from completing assignments, are to be used for this area. They will of course be stackable and take up one inventory slot.

The access tokens will automatically drain at a rate of one per minute. When you no longer have Access Tokens in your inventory, you will automatically be teleported to ;;home.

Most importantly, what will this Skilling Zone include?

- A farming area, containing a Tree Patch, Fruit Tree patch and 2 regular herb patches that speeds up produce growth to 0,25x RS times, as opposed to regular patches. Additionally, produce planted in these patches will not(!) be able to die.

- A blood rune altar, a couple steps away from a bank chest. Perhaps with a chance of granting double blood runes? idk

- A gem mining rock that does not deplete. This rock will have grant a low chance of obtaining an Uncut Onyx, and yes, an even lower chance (How does 1/20k sound?) of obtaining an Incomplete Hydrix.

- A construction Dining Table spot that doesn't actually build the table. No more right-click removing!

- Something for hunter -> Puro Puro impling spawns in a dedicated fenced-off area

- A summoning obelisk that has a 10% chance of saving your charm when creating pouches.

- A fishing spot that lets you eat the fish like fury shark would but a lower level spot like monkfish or so for not too much of a EXP boost while fully afk, until the character decides it’s time to take some rest

- Trees that do not deplete, up to yew. And a couple magic trees that do deplete

- A resource that awards the player with randomly given dragonhide, similar to the rocks and trees in ;;mz that award ores and logs respectively

The potion flask resource thing plus the pottery parts to turn them into potion flasks. (not the crystal flasks)

While being present in this zone, Random Event NPCs will spawn at an increased rate in this, and have an increased GP reward.

In the current situation, you can just ignore those NPCs and they de-spawn automatically.. They do not stop people from auto clicking etc, while they have such a great potential.

As a slight rework as to their overall mechanic everywhere in the game, I suggest the following:

If you ignore the NPC for more than two minutes, they will automatically teleport you to a caged area (NOT Jail) where your movement will be tracked and pinged to a Support/Mod/Admin.

Perhaps to a separate staff-only discord chat, if such a thing could be synced?

Two pings will be sent.

1) Player_Name has been teleported to the cage.

2) Player_Name has shown movement in the cage.

Now, in order to boost the market for skilling supplies even more, I suggest a gradually implemented nerf on a bunch of PvM drops.

The huge amount of resources currently being pumped into the game is near infinite, and makes them pretty much worthless.

I suggest a 10% nerf per month, for the upcoming 4 or 5 months. I will aid / set up a list of all the OP supply drops. i.e. those Dragon Bones from corp.

Edited by Vincent
  • Like 6

Pooof mind blow away, I think this has got to be one of the best suggestion's I have quite possibly ever seen tbh! The amount of thought and detail put into this seems like a LOT.

+1 Support

• Like 1

I actually love every single piece of this. I love how detailed you got with this suggestion, and could 100% see this implemented ingame. Especially like the new method of obtaining Dust for Crystal Tools and Weapons. GREAT suggestion, @Vincent

+1

• Like 1

Dude, you really went above and beyond my expectations. I'm in love with this! Very well done! ❤️ 

• Like 1

Love this. Well thought out and in-depth; shows you really care about making this a thing. I always wanted an alternative option than simply thieving or making potions endlessly as a source of money while skilling. I support it!!! 😄 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Con said:

Pooof mind blow away, I think this has got to be one of the best suggestion's I have quite possibly ever seen tbh! The amount of thought and detail put into this seems like a LOT.

+1 Support

2 hours ago, Craftwork said:

I actually love every single piece of this. I love how detailed you got with this suggestion, and could 100% see this implemented ingame. Especially like the new method of obtaining Dust for Crystal Tools and Weapons. GREAT suggestion, @Vincent

+1

2 hours ago, E36 said:

Dude, you really went above and beyond my expectations. I'm in love with this! Very well done! ❤️ 

16 minutes ago, Arachnid said:

Love this. Well thought out and in-depth; shows you really care about making this a thing. I always wanted an alternative option than simply thieving or making potions endlessly as a source of money while skilling. I support it!!! 😄 

Thank you all for your support!

I don't think this suggestion is completely flawless, as there's always room for improvement. But I'm absolutely thrilled with your replies!

• Like 2

Love the concept.

However I feel like it has alot of flaws.

1. The rewards are litterly useless for plat/diamond players. Would ofcourse be possible to change it so "we" get more use of it but it will be hard.

2. Most of the best "Skilling methods" are in plat/dz zones those contracts wouldn't be obtainable since the non donator players can't get those. That means you have to do tasks that gives less experience.

3. Not enough of skilling supplies to do this constantly. Imagine getting a task "Cook 200 Raw Sharks" Who has raw sharks? That means you first have to fish them first and then do your task just sounds like a hassle and that is already a kinda high level task.

4. Alot of dev work that could go to something else that is much more useful. This just sounds waste of time and will probably be dead content unless it's a trim req.

5. Perk heavy IDEA.

My overall opinion

Since you have to do mediocre tasks at all times it wouldn't be worth doing it unless completing a task would give you INSANE amount of exp. A skilling shop with raw materials is needed if this is implemented which isn't good. If the shop isn't implemented and people start doing this would mean that the raw materials goes up in price and makes every task cost you 5m on average. Which would ruin the reason why you made this post.

It's a PvM server and you will always make more money doing it. The current state is fine for skilling. QoL is needed but adding something this big and kinda useless is not worth for the amount of time it takes to code.

This comes from a guy who made most of his money through skilling and got 26b xp by doing it.

Edited by Skcam
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Skcam said:

Love the concept.

1. The rewards are litterly useless for plat/diamond players. Would ofcourse be possible to change it so "we" get more use of it but it will be hard.

2. Most of the best "Skilling methods" are in plat/dz zones those contracts wouldn't be obtainable since the non donator players can't get those. That means you have to do tasks that gives less experience.

3. Not enough of skilling supplies to do this constantly. Imagine getting a task "Cook 200 Raw Sharks" Who has raw sharks? That means you first have to fish them first and then do your task just sounds like a hassle and that is already a kinda high level task.

4. Alot of dev work that could go to something else that is much more useful. This just sounds waste of time and will probably be dead content unless it's a trim req.

5. Perk heavy IDEA.

My overall opinion

Since you have to do mediocre tasks at all times it wouldn't be worth doing it unless completing a task would give you INSANE amount of exp. A skilling shop with raw materials is needed if this is implemented which isn't good. If the shop isn't implemented and people start doing this would mean that the raw materials goes up in price and makes every task cost you 5m on average. Which would ruin the reason why you made this post.

It's a PvM server and you will always make more money doing it. The current state is fine for skilling. QoL is needed but adding something this big and kinda useless is not worth for the amount of time it takes to code.

This comes from a guy who made most of his money through skilling and got 26b xp by doing it.

1- The whole idea behind it is so that skilling is more profitable, Plat and diamond donors have there own OP methods which include, protean tree's & rocks, Gem stone rocks, divine locations etc. This isn't intended for plat & diamond donors. Not everything done within the server have to be done for plat and diamond donors, I'm a plat donor and quite frankly i'm getting sick of seeing higher tier donator get all the best things whilst all the low level, lower donation wise people just sitting there with jack shit.

2 - Yes, there are skilling locations within donor locations but there are also locations all around the map which people would have to use to acquire certain items for example, rocktails and cavefish.

3 - That is the whole idea, basically scrap the task system that is already in place and replace it with this suggestion, there are more than enough supplies to keep the economy going doing tasks. Also again the whole idea within this suggestion is to make skilling more profitable for "skillers", hence this would create more trading of magic logs, yew logs, sharks, rocktails, cavefish... etc. Which would increase the price of certain items & again make skilling more profitable for the skillers within the server + it would drive the prices of the existing items already in the economy & once they settle down a bit it might not be to bad.

4 - Devs are always looking for new challenging project, I have no doubt in my mind at all that something like this would probably be easy for the dev's.

5 - I do not feel like this would be very perk heavy to be fully honest & even if this was to increase the people of the server buying more perks that would help Ataraxia out in the long run with donations which I know for a fact that Jaedmo & the other staff members would be thrilled to see an increase of donations flowing through the server.

6 - The tasks would depend on how the dev's do it, if they want to add things for lower levels like getting lobsters, sharks, cavefish, rocktails they could they don't all have to be mediocre & like one of the things you could buy was something to do with getting rid of shit lower level tasks so they wouldn't be mediocre if you spent your points wisely. Also no shop is needed people just actually have to skill and go and get these raw materials on there own, no everyone necessarily needs to do it, for example people who PvM all day every day they have the own methods of making money & this one is solely for the skillers of the server. It would increase the prices for everything within the server so it would make skillers want to actually play! This would bring more skillers into the economy and more trading, more players = more donations & more votes, more trading = better economy. In the long run this idea could really benefit the server if done the right way. If you was to buy these raw materials it would cost you more money than usual yes but if you acquired the stuff yourself it would cost you nothing. If said task was to collect 500 raw rocktail that would make you money also. 

Got to actually think about all the positive reasons.

Edited by Con
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Skcam said:

Love the concept.

5. Perk heavy IDEA.

My overall opinion

First of all, thank you for your feedback! I highly appreciate it. I must say though, I disagree with some of the points you've mentioned

You've stated that the rewards, as I currently have them listed, would not be worth it to you (and other plat donators).

So, my question it, how could they be improved? I'd love to hear suggestions from someone currently holding those ranks, since I don't have access to those zones with my Silver Donator status. And it is indeed tricky to think of worthwhile rewards, that aren't deemed too OP.

Furthermore, your comment about it being dead content and a waste of dev time, is irrelevant to me.

This new content might be useless to you, since you've maxed your Novice account, unless it's a trim req. Hey, thanks! We could implement that as well.

With regards to the Dev time, I'd much prefer the Developers to determine what is, and what isn't their worth their time, and that isn't something you should decide. So far, I've only had contact with Lare, and he seemed excited! I'd love to hear feedback from the others too.

As for the other points, @Con shares my exact opinion, there's no point in Copy Pasting it!

My goal with this suggestion is not to replace PvM with skilling. Ataraxia is a PvM server at heart and it should remain that way. However, people don't always feel like PvM'ing, and with this I hope to create an incentive to be online for those who don't feel like PvM'ing for a while, and for those who prefer to skill over PvM to begin with.

I believe that not everything should be catered to Diamonds and Platinums. You guys have done so much for the server and the rewards currently already reflect that. This suggestion will indeed benefit the other ranks (gold, silver, bronze & non-donator the most.

I myself, as an Ironman(novice)  going for 1Bil in all skills, do skill a lot, and it gives me time to think of things to make skilling feel more enjoyable rather than just an obligatory thing to do for Max/Comp.

Right now, when some players don't feel like PvM'ing for a while, they either AFK or log off. Let's avoid that, especially when we have a lot of new players join the server!

Finally, your final sentence, proudly said in bold...

Yes, you've maxed your novice account, which is a great feature of time spent skilling and dedication, but it doesn't make it worth more than someone elses feedback. And it seems like that's what you were trying to portray by the way you've stated it.

Edited by Vincent

This is a wonderful suggestion, and I'd happy to work on it. Although coding what you described would be a pretty big undertaking (which would require a LOT of testing), so I do think it'd be worthwhile to consider what @Skcam is trying to say. Doing this and then having it be dead content would be a massive waste of time.

In my opinion though, things like "who has raw sharks?" will be resolved if the rewards for skilling contracts are good enough. If they're good enough, sharks will become more valuable since they're needed to obtain the rewards. It's all about making skilling resources more valuable.

Edited by lare96
  • Like 4